Tuesday, April 26, 2011

DRIEST APRIL IN HOUSTON CLIMATE HISTORY (1889-PRESENT)

Houston records go back to 1889.

The worst combination of Spring months appears to be 1937 with .45" in March, .33" in April, and sadly, only a TRACE in May. This was durng the DUST BOWL of the 1930s. My dad lived through it as child.

1917 is in the news as another very dry year.

Our last chance for rain was last night and all the thunderstorms tracked north in the East Texas area.  We got nothing.  DRIEST APRIL in HOUSTON, TEXAS
0.11"   2011
Note: We usually get 3 or 4 inches of rain each month here along the Gulf Coast.
On average, El Paso, Texas in the West Texas desert region receives more rain in April than our 0.11".


It's not pretty, but necessary. Waiting to collect rain from the roof. I have two rain barrels and hope to buy at least 4 more this year. Each holds 55 gallons.
David/ :0)

6 comments:

  1. You have no idea how badly I wish I could send some of our rain your way. We had a record wet (and cold) March and are about to have a record wet (and cold) April. I am so done with the rain...bring on the warm sun!!! (please)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ughhhh I am so ready for some rain already. As are my poor plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in East Texas, and we finally got some of that rain! Sorry you missed it. We received 1.5" total from the last couple of days. I went out today to plant some things. I thought the soil would be sopping - no, almost dry again! I hope you get some rain soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes you wonder what kind of summer we are going to have. I can't believe how much watering I've done this early in the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are the same way here heading for a record year. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've had lots of rainy days, but not as much in the rain gauge as other places. The weather sure has been doing things to get into the news, hasn't it? I've been praying for those who've been affected by the devastating storms. We should be praying for those who are in need of rain.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate your comments & questions! Happy Gardening from David/ Tropical Texana

Related Posts with Thumbnails