Wednesday, July 12, 2017

ZINNIAS ARE A GREAT CHOICE!


The new varieties of zinnias grow well all summer long here in Houston. Not that long ago zinnias were problematic due to our constant battle with powdery mildew.
Fortunately, the newer varieties are very disease resistant and bloom profusely with no deadheading needed. 
These low to the ground varieties are my favorite since they mix well with the agaves and yuccas.
They can take full sun or partial shade.
Zinnias are originally from Mexico so they can cope with the brutal summer heat of the South.

If you want to learn ALL about ZINNIAS, check out this link to the Chicago Botanic Garden.
They call them the hardest working summer flower. I agree!

All for now. Enjoy your garden wherever you may be!
David/:0)

2 comments:

  1. I used to buy wonderful cut zinnias when I was a graduate student in Indiana at the farmers market, but I haven't grown any in years. Maybe it's time to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, it's so good to see you back amongst the blogging! WOW to those zinnias amongst the agaves! It makes me a little sad I pulled out the big agaves in the corner bed. I still have some in pots so maybe I'll sprinkle a few seeds around them and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate your comments & questions! Happy Gardening from David/ Tropical Texana

Related Posts with Thumbnails