Sunday, June 5, 2011

BLUE EGGS: HAPPY MACRO MONDAY

Our elementary school has a patio just outside my classroom. It has two yaupon bushes for well-camouflaged nests. Once again, a mockingbird has chosen the smaller bush. I thought the nest was abandoned, but to my surprise it had 4 beautiful eggs inside. The momma bird was NOT happy to see me nosing around her nest and I could hear her fussing up on the rooftop. I took these with a steady nerve since mockingbirds will swoop down and give you a peck on the head if need be.
I told her I was not going to hurt her eggs.
For more great macros, visit Lisa at http://lisaschaos.com/ . Thanks for stopping by. David/ :-)
This mockingbird used pine straw to line the nest. The rest of the nest is built with live oak sticks.

Blue with brown mottling best describes colorful mockingbird eggs.

Never mind the security camera, look who's watching me! Momma bird!

I walked past the nest several times before seeing it. So did dozens of others.
Mockingbirds build their nests low. This one was only 5 1/2 feet above ground.
The mockingbird's hundreds of imitated calls enamored early naturalists. It is the state bird of more U.S. states than any other bird. Somewhere around 6 or 7 states have it as their state bird.

11 comments:

  1. These spotted blue eggs are something else. They are beautiful. I bet Momma was a bit upset with you for nosing around her babies. I am glad you were able to take your pictures and vamoose without any injuries. You are a brave soul. LOve the shot of her up on top of the building. Great macros.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautifully colored eggs! Nature is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots! Glad momma bird didn't attack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Texas State Bird!!! We had a family of them in our yard this past few months...never tried getting photos of the eggs tho. Beautiful photos you've shared!!!!

    Winter Past is my link to Macro Monday. Do stop by when you get a chance. I'd love your company. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that shade of blue - lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic macros...and you are indeed very brave.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi David,
    you got a nice chance to take some pictures of those eggs and it really surprises me Momma Mockingbird didn't come after you. Mockingbirds and Blue Jays are both extremely protective when it comes about their nests and young ones. I can watch it daily how they chase the squirrels and other wildlife away if it only comes close to the nest.

    Btw, did you guys get some rain out of the storms yesterday?
    we've had 2 storms moving by and still didn't get enough rain to wet our patio up here in Spring where we are living.
    Happy Gardening
    Paula Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos of the mockingbirds eggs... they are such lovely colours...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi all,
    It's pretty obvious by the comments that some of you know the dive bombing antics and loud warning calls of mockingbirds! Before I put these pics on my blog, I was wondering why there were so few close-ups of mockingbird eggs on the internet. Duh! Of course we all know why.
    David/ Tropical Texana

    Paula Jo....no, I did not get a drop of rain yesterday here in near NW Houston. My hope is that we all get a drenching today. All my fingers and toes are crossed for today.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dad found those eggs in our tool shed. My dad thought it was blue with RED spots but I am sure they were brownish. I will have to tell my dad to be careful around that bird nest. It almost pecked him.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate your comments & questions! Happy Gardening from David/ Tropical Texana

Related Posts with Thumbnails