Wednesday, December 1, 2010

AN ORIGINAL POEM ON COMPOST...HAPPY GARDEN MUSE DAY

I was going to use Walt Whitman's poem 'On Compost', but it was too morbid. Egad!
So I composted  composed my own with a little more light-hearted feel . There's actually very few ways to photograph a compost pile in a poetic style, so I just did my best. By the way, there are very few poems on compost piles. Visit Carolyn at http://sweethomeandgardenchicago.blogspot.com/  to enjoy the muse behind the muse. :0)

Ode to A Compost Pile    by David at Tropical Texana

Little bugs eat along

Move along, crawl along

Little worms plow

In the compost delight



Once there were leaves

And a twig and a pass along

Little worms plow along

All through the night



A year and a day sits the pile

Of old get-alongs

Slowly they turn

‘til the time is just right.



Now comes the gardener

From the house as he moves along,

Ready to dig

With all of his might



Some hands and a trowel

Rush by worms that are quite alarmed!

Up to the bucket on the edge of the pile

The Garden is waiting

As the wheelbarrow rolls along

Rolls along, rolls along with compost delight



 Summer is waning and cool breezes move along

Farmers see winter clouds darken and die

But deep in the earth those little worms plow along

Little worms plow along

in compost tonight.




6 comments:

  1. Very nice. I just processed my compost last month and spread it on the garden as well.

    Thanks for contributing to Muse Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know Whitman wrote a poem on compost, but I'm sure it doesn't compare to yours! It's freezing here, but I'm hoping the little worms are warm deep down in my compost pile and working hard so I have more of that lovely black gold next year, too. Thanks for the smiles this morning:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is some beautiful compost! And a lovely worm-turning poem. I'm getting a reputation 'round town myself for begging table scraps, newspapers, and coffee grounds off of people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Compost -- It's a beautiful thing!!! Nothin' like it for what ails ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's some mighty fine compost. I think you should share the poem with your students! Maybe this will be the week you can come by after work? I think they're starting work on the sinkhole Monday ... how about Wednesday?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun poem! My mind wanted to sing it, but couldn't think of the tune. That compost is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate your comments & questions! Happy Gardening from David/ Tropical Texana

Related Posts with Thumbnails