Tuesday, May 31, 2011

POEM ABOUT RAIN AFTER A DROUGHT

RAIN AFTER DROUGHT
by Dora Sigerson Shorter
Irish poet ( 1866-1918)
All night the small feet of the rain
Within the garden ran,
And gentle fingers tapped the pane
Until the dawn began.
The rill-like voices called and sung
The slanting roof beside;
'The children of the clouds have come;
Awake! awake!' they cried.
'Weep no more the drooping rose
Nor mourn the thirsting tree,
The little children of the storm
Have gained their liberty.'
All night the small feet of the rain
About my garden ran,
Their rill-like voices called and cried
Until the dawn began.

It already looks like this in our area parks...and it's the START of summer. Our last good rain was in January.
After good summer rains here along the Texas Coastal Plains

Visit the Original Garden Poet, Carol, at http://sweethomeandgardenchicago.blogspot.com/ for more verses.
And may we all get rain down here in the South very soon.
David/ Tropical Texana


5 comments:

  1. Oh dear, wishing some rain for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola David,
    I hear you on the rain!!! I was outside tonight freaking at the entire place. No rain since January. Freezing temps that one month...and two major project all at once!!! My garden looks terrible!! With school out, I hope to remedy that situation....and I'm hoping monsoon is good this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd send you rain if I could. It has been raining almost daily the past two weeks and my plants don't like it. I hope you get your share of rain soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post and poem. Happy June Garden Muse Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey David, just hang in there, someday it will rain again in our area and you know what it's gonna be like - A FLOOD RAIN, flooding big parts of Houston.
    But same as you, I'm paying for rain every single day.
    Regards
    Paula Jo

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate your comments & questions! Happy Gardening from David/ Tropical Texana

Related Posts with Thumbnails