Saturday, November 12, 2011

MEET THE BUG THAT ALWAYS MAKES ME SMILE: HAPPY MACRO MONDAY

If you have aphids and you see a piece of lint moving along a leaf, don't worry. You're not going crazy. I love this little guy. These little insects find any old scrap to stick on their backs in a uniform I'd call homemade camouflage. The results vary according to the garden. Some are covered with moss. Others the dead bodies of ants. My garden friend over in Austin says she found one covered in yellow flower petals! Mine seems to have found some gray 'things' to put on itself. They are completely harmless...unless your'e an aphid. Hence the name APHID LIONS. Happy Macro Monday! David/ :-)

This is one of the GOOD GUYS in your garden. It eats aphids.

Here's the aphid lion moving along a leaf. I'm always taken off guard when I see a piece of trash walking around in the garden.

If they eat ants, then this one is in BIG trouble.

Can you finally see him under his cloak?  It's Chrysopa oculata and it will turn into a green lacewing when grown.

My old college textbook is long out of print, so I'll show you what he looks like without all the decorations.
Hope you enjoyed reading about the bug that always makes me smile.
David/ :-)

18 comments:

  1. I never knew what theses were. last year I saw one with very fancy coat. it had taken the scraps of yellow petal from a zexmenia.
    glad to hear they are good guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In that first photo, it almost looks like two little black eyes peeping out. I'm getting an idea for next year's Halloween costume, though I'd probably have to explain over and over what an aphid lion is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you just made me smile. Very interesting little critters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating David, I've never seen them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's a pretty cool looking bug all dressed in his fuzzy little jacket

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really interesting. It does look like a piece of lint!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this and what a great macro shots!
    Greetings from Holland,
    Anna :-))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing find and educational post. What great pictures. I did find myself looking at the hand's 'fingerprint' also. LOL

    Incredible photos.

    My link for today is: GARDEN FLOWERS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome, I've never seen that before! Wonder if we have them in Australia, ant lions are pretty cool but you never get to see much of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I've seen one, I didn't know what it was. I'll keep an eye out for one now, though.

    Good photo.....good lesson.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I've never heard of an Aphid Lion even though I have plenty of Aphids in my rose bed. It is fascinating to learn about new insects like this. What a funny, fuzzy little coat it was wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great eye! Going to check the garden for walking trash! Happy Macro Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK! i joyn yor blobb .

    Klem Marit.

    Nace foto,,,

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aphids destroyed my hibiscus plants. Good to know about these insects - I wish I'd have had them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This critter is amazing and the background info provided by you is interesting. Can you please export some of these critters :) They are most welcome in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just saw one for the first time yesterday -- and again one today -- so I ran in to search for "walking lint", never really believing I'd find it. Thank you for an entertaining and informative post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing! No wonder it wasn't in our field guide.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The first time I saw one of these guys he was on my mom's dryer so I thought I was loosing my mind. I was like ok that lent is moving lol. I have since seen him again a few times and always called him the "lent bug" for lack of a better name. Now I know what he is. I caught one the other day and took some macro shots of him, too. Thank you David.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate your comments & questions! Happy Gardening from David/ Tropical Texana

Related Posts with Thumbnails