Wednesday, December 14, 2011

FOLIAGE FOLLOW-UP & GBBD: BROMELIADS STAND IN AS 'FLOWERS' IN A SHADY TROPICAL GARDEN

    A colorful photo of  bromeliads growing up a hillside in Costa Rica was my Eureka moment a couple of years back. The idea: that from a distance colorful bromeliads can stand in for flowers in a tropical shade garden. At once I started imagining these plants punctuating the all green landscape of my backyard. So...here they are! After many years of collecting, I'd like to show you some of the 'flowers' where no flowers can grow. The leaves of bromeliads form beautiful rosettes of color.
     To see more of what gardeners are doing, visit our hosts, Carol, at May Dreams Gardens and Pam at Digging who hosts Foliage Follow-up. These bromeliads can fit into both posts this time around. DIGGING and MAY DREAMS GARDENS are on my sidebar favorites and always fun to visit.
Happy GBBD & FOLIAGE FOLLOW-UP!
Neoregelia 'Florida Red Bands'

Aechmea blanchetiana
(protect from frost or it will be lost!)
Neoregelia hybrid. I like the apple green with pink tips!
                                                This is a purple & green Aechmea
Neoregelia with three colors. These become stronger in cooler weather.

One of my favorite purple Neoregelias.

Neoregelia 'Vulcan' hybrid. I love the speckles.

My favorite variegated Neoregelia.

A miniature Neoregelia mixes well with variegated Arrowleaf.

Neoregelia hybrid. The cooler weather gives it that reddish blush.

A red blushed Neoregelia with variegated Alstroemeria.

I bought this one at a Bromeliad Society sale and it was considered a failed hybrid. I love it since it grows very quickly and has some frost tolerance.

I hope you think about adding some of these easy to grow plants into your garden or indoors. They make great houseplants as long as you keep them filled with water.
Thanks for stopping by.
David/ :-)


11 comments:

  1. You have some beautiful bromeliads! We have a few around our farm. Most of it grows wild so, we don't bother planting them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being able to plant Bromeliads in my garden would be a dream! If only. Yours are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The combination of Neoregelia with the variegated Alstroemeria is a really stunning contrast ... going to have to think about adding both of those to my shaded spots, I think they look wonderful together!
    Happy GBBD :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my bromeliads, and was just out photographing one this morning. You have a great collection and I agree they are are great flower substitute - and their flowers last so long. The combination with the alstomeria works really well too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aloha,

    great collection of broms, thanks for sharing them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful bromeliads! I need more of them in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. David, these are stunning. I have just a few, but I think you've given me a eureka moment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your arrangements. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. David, I've only ever seen this many beautiful bromeliads at arboretum! Fantastic. gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like to use succulents in the same way you use bromeliads, as foliage "flowers." These are even more colorful. Thanks for joining in for Foliage Follow-Up, David!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous!
    Apple Green and pink is a beautiful combo...
    May you and yours have a blessed Holiday!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate your comments & questions! Happy Gardening from David/ Tropical Texana

Related Posts with Thumbnails