Thursday, June 16, 2011

JUNE FOLIAGE FOLLOW-UP: RAMBLING AROUND TO FIND SURVIVORS

During this prolonged drought, I water daily for the wildlife, the birds that visit to have drink, and for the plants that provide shelter and food.
Here are some plants adapted to drought, heat, and humidity as long as you give them a sprinkle or two of water. To see other serious foliage that will knock your socks off, visit our host, Pam, at http://www.penick.net/digging .
                              Kaempferia pulchra 'Alva' named by John Banta in Alva, Florida
Kaempferia elegans aka Kaempferia laotica

Kaempferia pulchra 'Chocolate'

Kaempferia pulchra 'Ben Lee' from Mercer arboretum

Kaempferia pulchra 'Silverspot'

A colony of Kaempferia masonii in bloom

Neoregelias seem content with daily temperatures hovering around 100 degrees. Keep them in dappled shade.

This is Neoregelia 'Happy Thoughts'

My squid agave (Agave bracteosa)  has finally started to look like its namesake.

This is part of my Agave collection.
Thanks for stopping by Tropical Texana.
David/ :-)

8 comments:

  1. Wow your Neoregelias are gorgeous! And of course it goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) LOVE the agaves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very unusual plants. that drought is amazing. A flood follows a drought. You should join blotanical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you have a really nice collection of Kaempferias. Their own my 'Gotta Get' list - just not sure if I'll be willing to give them the extra moisture they may desire. But their foliage is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that Neoregelia 'Happy Thoughts'. And the Kaempferias almost look like Native American textiles; very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That colony of Kaempferia masonii is gorgeous. The detail on the leaves looks like sand pictures -- remember those?

    Maybe it goes by different names, but isn't your octopus agave a squid agave (A. bracteosa)? A. vilmoriniana is much bigger when mature, with longer arms, plus it's more cold susceptible. At any rate, it's a beauty. I have several squids myself and love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pam,
    Yes, it is squid agave..Agave bracteosa.
    I have both and mixed up my squids and my octopi. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the variety of your Kaempferia. Last summer a friend dug up some torch ginger to share with me. Later I see "peacock ginger" coming up. I was so lucky that it tagged along with the other ginger. It is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi David! How many blogs do you have right now? Looks like you've been bloggin quite a while!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate your comments & questions! Happy Gardening from David/ Tropical Texana

Related Posts with Thumbnails