Monday, July 12, 2010

Have You Ever Wondered?

...how variegation in plants is transferred? Is it in the stem or the growing tip? Where are the genes located that make it happen? For fun, I noticed that my favorite syngonium (arrowleaf) had a couple of stems that had switched back to dark green and some that had switched to all white. The originals were marbled with white and green. So, I cut the stems so that each stem had only one leaf and one node.
Two of the signs got switched, but you get the idea. I can't wait to see what happens.
I loved science fairs when I was a kid. One year, the local garden club gave my project a special ribbon since I did my project on soil pH and its effects on local plants.
One interesting alternate question has to deal with those all white leaves. I wonder if they will  produce enough chlorophyll in the thin green veins to set new leaves. What do you think?
Finally, if you get intrigued by how many kinds of variegation you can find in syngoniums, go to the glasshouse works website. I've not ordered from them, but they are some serious collectors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate your comments & questions! Happy Gardening from David/ Tropical Texana

Related Posts with Thumbnails