Sunday, October 16, 2011

MACRO MONDAY MYSTERY ~ ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS IS?

I'm stumped. This little guy finally bloomed and I had thought all along that it was Partridgeberry.  I'm not even certain what family it is in. I think it is evergreen. It is very small and grows very slowly. The blooms have a family resemblence to Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia). My good friend in Katy gave it to me this past summer and I'm hoping she will stop by and end the mystery. Thanks to all who can help. David/ :-)

Update: Thanks to our 4 botanical experts we can now safely say it's a Barbados Cherry. I've never grown one, this should be fun. Thanks all. :-) David



For more mysteries and beautiful Macros, visit our wonderful host Lisa, at http://lisaschaos.com/
Thanks, Lisa. :-)

11 comments:

  1. David- looks like a dwarf Barbados Cherry to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbados cherry. What a beauty. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm leaning towards Barbados Cherry (certainly one of the Malpighia genera). I have the dwarf variety so the leaves on mine are much smaller, but the blooms are certainly identical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like it's a Malphigia, possibly punicifolia or glabra (which might be the same plant). Barbados Cherry is the common name. If it's not Malphigia glabra/punicifolia, it's probably at the very least in the malphigiaceae family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha - I was just going to tell you Barbados Cherry! Glad you figured out the mystery. Don't you just hate it when you don't know the name of a plant?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely color those blossoms have.

    Happy MM

    ReplyDelete
  7. used to grow those in san antonio when it used to rain there. lol. thanks for stopping by btw. Glad yo are getting rain. Hope it continues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy that you found out what your plant is.
    It's certainly a delicate beauty. Your photo's were lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great plant to try out in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For such a small island, Barbados seems to have a lot of plants. One of my NOIDs was identified as Pride of Barbados. At the rate the two of us are going, maybe it's time for us to visit the Antilles and learn more. :D

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate your comments & questions! Happy Gardening from David/ Tropical Texana

Related Posts with Thumbnails